Thursday, February 16, 2012

Birthday Party Activities

Pin It

 This was the first year that the kids wanted to have separate birthday parties. Quite frankly, I am surprised that it took this long. For their parties, they each invited four friends over to our house. I was surprised that they wanted to have their parties at home and not go anywhere. We wanted to give the kids something to do that they could take home. One benefit of having kids with birthdays only two and a half weeks apart, is that you can plan the parties at the same time.  
Moustaches
I don't know if Tate was inspired by us making and wearing moustaches while I was participating in internet fads, but he saw a package of six moustaches for $1when we were at Hobby Lobby getting some stuff for both of their parties, and wanted to get it. For each of the kids' birthdays, there were six kids, so it worked out nicely. As it turned out, they were two of the total of three kids that actually wore a moustache. I don't know if they just thought that it was weird, or if they got a whiff of the nasty glue that was used for them. In an attempt to get the other kids to participate, I put one of the moustaches on myself. It was gross, but I sold it like I was getting a huge bonus. Tate actually wore his moustache until it was time to eat. As bad as they smelled, I don't even want to imagine what it tasted like.


Painted Rolls and Statues

Porcelain Statues 
Both of the kids wanted to paint something for their respective parties. We found a few packages of plain white porcelain figurines at Hobby Lobby. Tate picked out the transportation pack, with a rocket, helicopter, airplane, etc. Emery got a more generalized girlie pack with a unicorn, rainbow, etc.



Toilet Paper Roll Snowmen    

Hats and Noses
For awhile now, we have been collecting our toilet paper rolls and magazines and donating them to the kids' daycare for project. This was the first time that we had used the toilet paper rolls at home. The prep work for this took much longer than the activity, itself. With the kids' help, I peeled away the scraps of toilet paper still on the roll. Then I scraped an open pair of scissors across whatever was still left behind to get the tubes as clean as I could. Next, I cut out some hats and noses for the snowmen. The kids painted the snowmen however they saw fit and we set them aside to dry. Once the paint had dried, we glued on googly eyes, noses and hats. A few of the girls decided to tie a piece of string around the snowmen for a scarf.



Final Products





2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...